[BoulderCouncilHotline] FW: US Supreme Court Hears Oral Argument in Internet Sales Tax Case

Jones, Suzanne JonesS at bouldercolorado.gov
Sat Apr 21 09:42:04 MDT 2018

Dear All—

I wanted to share this analysis of the recent oral arguments for the Supreme Court case South Dakota v. Wayfair on the issue of internet sales tax collection – which provides broader context for our upcoming study session on our budget and trends in Boulder’s sales tax revenues.

In South Dakota v. Wayfair<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/lFYBC73VqJhAZj8lfEPLmW?domain=scotusblog.com> South Dakota is asking the Supreme Court to overrule precedent and hold that states and local governments may require retailers with no in-state physical presence to collect sales tax. The National Conference of State Legislatures<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/JoJ-C82KrYi6Y821Hg6dw0?domain=ncsl.org> estimated that states lost $23.3 billion in 2012 from being prohibited from collecting sales tax from online and catalog purchases.

Cheers,
Zan

Suzanne Jones
Mayor, City of Boulder