[bouldercouncilhotline] FW: Recommended Resources from the Mayors Innovation Project Conference

cmosupport cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Sep 5 14:16:52 MDT 2017

From: Jones, Suzanne
Sent: Sunday, September 3, 2017 1:49 PM
To: HOTLINE <HOTLINE at bouldercolorado.gov>
Subject: Recommended Resources from the Mayors Innovation Project Conference

Dear All-

Two weeks ago I was happy to be representing Boulder at the summer meeting of the Mayors Innovation Project in Burlington, VT.

The Mayors Innovation Project (MIP) provides a forum to connect mayors and senior city staff, along with select experts from the private, non-profit and academic sectors, to talk about cutting edge research on city policy issues, share expertise and successes, and swap lessons learned. At each meeting, MIP picks a few policy areas important to cities and puts together panels of electeds, city staff and national experts on the topic for an in-depth discussion about best-in-class strategies in these areas.

This meeting's topics were:

  1.  Municipal Responses to the Opiate Crisis
  2.  Six Months In: Cities Under Trump
  3.  Land Use & Inequality: What's the Connection?
  4.  21st Century Policing
  5.  Net Zero Cities

Here is the link to the briefing materials on each of these topics:
http://www.mayorsinnovation.org/events/summer-2017-meeting#Briefing
And find the link to presentations from the event here<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/wX1DBwfRl13ik?domain=cts.vresp.com>. I recommend these materials to my colleagues - this is one of the more useful conferences I have attended in terms of learning from peer cities, and getting exposed to new ideas and approaches.

A few takeaways from the conference for me were:

  *   The  opiate crisis is really slamming many other cities, with some 30,000 people dying each year across the nation from opiate overdoses; it made me wonder what Boulder's stats are and if we need to do more in anticipation of what appears to be a growing national emergency.
  *   One of the biggest concerns under the new political situation is the growing trend of state pre-emption of progressive municipal policies in many other states (e.g., on minimum wage, immigrant policy/ICE deportations, even housing, and transgender bathrooms in NC).

  *   Seems like most cities are struggling with the issue of affordable housing and related land use issues, but no one seems to have any magic solutions, just a growing awareness of the trade-offs between various policy choices.
  *   The Burlington Chief of Police gave a thought-provoking presentation on their approach to policing, which includes a new "transparency portal" on their website where they post their policing data: https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/Police/Data
  *   Burlington, VT was the first U.S. city to go 100% renewable energy, and while they operate in a very different regulatory and geographic climate than Boulder (they get 44% of their energy from biomass and only 1% from solar), they are doing some pretty cool energy stuff. As is our neighbor Ft Collins, who also presented on their net zero cities efforts.

The meetings also featured a lightening round of 3-minute presentations of ideas to share:  I presented Boulder's Energy Challenge as a mechanism to engage our private sector in trying out new technologies to further our energy goals.

Worth noting -- the MIP website has information on new policy innovations, best practices, case studies, model legislation, background research, communication tools, and access to technical assistance. MIP also has a newsletter, Good Ideas for Cities<http://oi.vresp.com/?fid=f25af087ac>, as well as Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/mayorsinnovation/?ref=bookmarks> and Twitter<https://twitter.com/MayorInnovation> accounts where they share ideas and innovations from around the country.

Cheers,
Zan

Suzanne Jones
Mayor, City of Boulder