[bouldercouncilhotline] FW: In Defense of Dreamers & DACA

cmosupport cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Sep 4 13:52:38 MDT 2017

From: Jones, Suzanne
Sent: Sunday, September 3, 2017 5:25 PM
To: HOTLINE <HOTLINE at bouldercolorado.gov>
Subject: In Defense of Dreamers & DACA

Dear All-

Thanks to Sam and Mary for raising this issue.

As we consider what actions we may want to take in support of DACA to support Dreamers in Boulder and across the country, I am forwarding some links from the Center for American Progress that I found very informative -- and which I think underscore the economic benefits of DACA (in addition to the social and ethical imperatives).

As mayor, I have been signing onto national mayoral letters in defense of DACA, but I look forward to a discussion of whether there is more we want to do as a Council.

Thanks,
Zan

Please see the below August 30th email from the Center for American Progress for additional information and resources.

"Last night Axios<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/8Jo2BxTXqk2cL?domain=axios.com> broke the news (followed by stories from the Washington Post<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/QQrkBYfM0n1Td?domain=washingtonpost.com>, and today from ABC News<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/xNZ8BWsbn7Wfw?domain=abcnews.go.com>,) that President Trump is strongly considering ending DACA. While these are just rumors for now, we believe that if Trump does pull the trigger, an announcement signaling the end of DACA could come as soon as Monday or later in the week. Ending DACA would be catastrophic for the nearly 800,000 recipients, as well as their families, their communities, cities and states all across the country, and the nation as a whole. DACA beneficiaries will be responsible for $460.3 billion<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/MdEzBJfD0eaUV?domain=americanprogress.org> in GDP over the next decade, all of which would be wiped away if the program were to end. Once work permits expire, employers all across the country would be forced to lose workers, and families would see their loved ones once again in the line of fire for detention and deportation.

Below please find critical resources-including state-by-state fact sheets and data on the economic impacts of ending DACA. Join us on social media using the hashtag #DefendDACA to show your support.

  *   New CAP estimates on the economic impact<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/MdEzBJfD0eaUV?domain=americanprogress.org> of ending DACA to the nation and to all fifty states and the District of Columbia.

  *   Unbranded fact sheets<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/O5LZBYivxEaSm?domain=drive.google.com> on the demographics and economic benefits of DACA for all fifty states and the District of Columbia.

  *   State-by-state data<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/9XA2BMfbYp2f1?domain=americanprogress.org> (and an interactive<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/lN0LBGs5OobfA?domain=americanprogress.org>) on the number of mixed-status families in the U.S., as well as the number of U.S. citizen children living with unauthorized family members.

  *   Our 2016 survey of DACA recipients<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/zN6xBWsrnkaFq?domain=americanprogress.org>, with United We Dream, NILC, and Professor Tom K. Wong, showing that DACA beneficiaries are getting new and higher paying jobs, going back to school, buying houses and cars, and generally contributing to their families, communities, and the nation as a whole.

  *   A report from Roberto Gonzales and the National Undocumented Research Project detailing how DACA has helped young people excel<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/rx0ABJfJqY4u4?domain=americanprogress.org>.

  *   An issue brief explaining how immigration enforcement under the Trump administration<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/Zp13B5f5dXRfk?domain=americanprogress.org> is harming children.