[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Mayors Innovation Project

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri May 19 07:35:04 MDT 2017

Sender: Jones, Suzanne

Dear Colleagues—

FYI -- One of the many groups that Boulder pays dues to participate in is the Mayors Innovation Project. It is a coalition of small to mid-sized, generally “progressive” cities that come together to swap ideas and lessons learned on key issues facing cities. So far I have attended two MIP gatherings and found them to be well-run, interactive events  wrestling with relevant issues and attended by an interesting diversity of participants from around the country. Contrary to its name, councilmember and staff are welcome and encouraged to attend. Because Boulder is a member, registration is free for Council and staff attendees – you just have to cover your own travel and lodging.

In addition, it is worth perusing the MIP website, which contains useful policy brief and in-depth reports, videos, and briefing books from past meeting, and MIP staff is available to provide their technical expertise on key issues.

MIP hosts various events and webinars throughout the year, but one upcoming event I would draw your attention to is their annual summer meeting in Burlington, VT from August 16-18th—see links below. The topics of focus will be: Net Zero Cities, Opiate Epidemic, 21st Century Policing, Land Use & Inequality, and Cities under Trump. If you haven’t gone on a Council trip yet this year, you might consider attending (I am likely to do so).

Cheers,
Zan