[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Potential 2017 ballot items Study session

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue May 9 13:00:12 MDT 2017

Sender: Morzel, Lisa

Council members and staff

I am sorry I will not be able to participate in tonight's discussion on the potential 2017 ballot items under consideration.

I'd like to add my positions so that you will know where I would be if I were to join you tonight:
MUNI:
1. I am in favor of extending and potentially increasing the segment of the utility occupation tax that supports the study of the city owning and operating the electrical system for Boulder.

2. I think we should consider additional funding mechanisms that would support the transition and separation costs of our utility.   We should have this prepared but wait to see the outcome of the decision from the PUC in August to make a final determination as to whether that item will be included on the ballot.

3. I would support amending charging section 9 that would extend the council's authority to conduct executive sessions. I think it is important for the entire council to be present  in these discussions so we hear the thoughts of individual council members. This is far preferable to having two councilmembers meet with two staff members at a time.

4. I don't think now is the time to delete section 189. It seems to me we have plenty of time to do that once we form a municipal utility.

TAX
1. I am interested in renewing the three-year sales and use tax for community culture and safety capital projects. As no surprise to anyone, I want to to include construction of the North Boulder library at Rosewood and 13th. This significant section of town includes a significant population that is completely under served by our library services and services that come with a facility like a library. As Library Director  Farman has explained to me, usage of the storefront library on Yarmouth and Broadway is far greater than both the meadows branch and the George Reynolds branches combined so there is a clearly demonstrated need. I will also point out that this part of town has the greatest economic, age, ethnic, and social diversity in Boulder. It is time for the North Boulder library to be constructed and opened.

BROADBAND:
1. As you know last summer I objected to removing the Muni option from broadband. I think that's where I still am and I would urge council to slow this process down. I don't buy the argument that we have to do it right now or else somebody else will out compete us. I would like to know whether we will be able to achieve a municipal electric utility and then be able to consider having a municipalized broadband system. I'm convinced both go together; we see the success of that in Longmont.

CHARTER:
1.  I'm fine with what the charter committee has recommended. However, this year I would only include considering adding the transportation board to the charter and I would rename it the mobility board. A member of this board should be a liaison on the planning board; and a member of the planning board should be a liaison on the mobility board so that there is better communication and overlap between the two  boards.

Thanks
Lisa

Lisa Morzel
Boulder City Council Member