[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: ICLEI update, report, and a request

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Mar 27 12:04:11 MDT 2017

Sender: Appelbaum, Matt

Colleagues - Hi again.  Along with the WaterNow Alliance, as described in my previous email, I've also been serving on the board of directors of ICELI USA and on the North American regional executive committee (RexCom) for ICLEI international.  ICLEI is perhaps the most important international organization of cities that work on issues of sustainability.  ICLEI typically has a role in negotiations at international meetings, including the various COPs (climate change conferences), and is recognized by the UN and other important bodies.  Boulder has long been a member of ICLEI USA, although our work with them has varied considerably over the years.  We use ICLEI's essential tool, ClearPath, to report our greenhouse gas emissions.  You can find more information than you need at www.iclei.org<http://www.iclei.org> and www.icleiusa.org<http://www.icleiusa.org>, and you can access ICLEI USA's latest annual report at http://icleiusa.org/toward-1-5-degrees-2016-annual-report/

I most recently attended an ICLEI USA board meeting - the first one held in quite some time - as we work toward reinvigorating the organization.  Needless to say, our current political situation makes ICLEI's work even more essential.  I've also attended several international ICLEI-related conferences (conveniently, a couple of them at no cost to our city), the most recent (as I previously reported) being Habitat III, where, as usual, I either presented or moderated several sessions and also attended the meeting of the ICLEI council.  The council consists of ICLEI's global executive committee plus all of the members from the various RexComs around the world.

Although ICLEI's efforts are rather slow-going given the nature of international climate agreements and politics, and the great diversity of effort and ability around the world, ICLEI is highly regarded and largely responsible for much essential work related to sustainability and climate change mitigation and adaptation.  And you'll see from ICLEI USA's annual report that our branch of ICLEI is also hard at work on these critical issues.

Although I'll be leaving council in November, it is highly likely that I'll be reelected to another term on the ICLEI USA board of directors, whose members are not required to hold political office.  Needless to say, once I'm off council no costs associated with this position will be assessed to the city, although I will certainly still feel like I'm generally representing Boulder and, from time to time, I would hope to be able to chat with some of our staff about relevant issues and ideas and help ensure that Boulder retains a voice at ICLEI.

The ICLEI RexCom is a bit more complicated.  Although most of the RexComs represent numerous countries in various geographical areas, the North America RexCom represents just the US and Canada.  As such, it is typical and effectively essential that members of our RexCom also be on the board of ICLEI USA.  However, the RexCom officials are voted on by the member cities in that region, and - importantly - each such official must represent a member city.  This is where my request to council comes in: I'd like to run again for the RexCom, and since I'm currently on the ICLEI USA board and will remain so I believe I have a good chance of success.  However, my understanding (and I'll get confirmation of this before proceeding) is that I will need the support of council with a designation as the city's representative since I will be leaving elected office during the next RexCom term.  As noted earlier, there will of course be no cost to the city for any of my RexCom work, although here too I would hope to be able to speak with city staff from time to time on ICLEI issues, and bring Boulder's ideas and concerns to the conversations at ICLEI.  So when the time comes for me to stand for reelection, and if council is generally supportive of my effort, I'll ask for a formal vote on this issue.

Thanks --Matt