[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Height moratorium discussion

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Mar 6 16:58:38 MST 2017

Sender: Brockett, Aaron

Dear council members and Hotline followers,

I wanted to put a proposal out before Tuesday night's meeting. If it is the desire of the majority of the council to extend the height moratorium, I would like to suggest that we add certain zoning districts to the areas of the city where height exemptions will still be considered. Those zoning districts are BR-1 (Regional Business 1), which is the central commercial area around the 29th Street Mall, and the IG (Industrial General) and IM (Industrial Manufacturing) zones, which are mostly in East Boulder and Gunbarrel.

The rationale for the BR-1 zone is that it makes up the Boulder Valley Regional Center, which is our most intense commercial area in town and is a place where additional height may be desirable as older commercial properties redevelop into walkable mixed-use neighborhoods. The industrial zones are generally more distant from residences and flexibility in height can allow those properties to better meet the needs of local businesses and potentially transition into mixed-use projects.

I look forward to our discussion tomorrow night.

Regards,

Aaron Brockett

Boulder City Council member

brocketta at bouldercolorado.gov