[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Proposal for a loan for the Downtown Art Cinema

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Jul 25 14:34:08 MDT 2017

Sender: Brockett, Aaron

Good afternoon everyone. I've been following with great interest the debate over the inclusion of the Downtown Boulder Partnership's art house cinema proposal in the capital tax proposal that City Council will be reviewing tonight. I think it's an exciting idea with the potential to add a valuable amenity to downtown and improve the city's cultural offerings. But I am also sympathetic to the concerns over granting public money for a concept that was supposed to be included in the project by the original developers of the Pearl West building.

Given my understanding that the downtown cinema would require some kind of assistance in order to become a reality, I would like to propose that money for the cinema be loaned to Downtown Boulder for that purpose instead of being granted outright. We can ask city staff to work out an appropriate repayment structure. This would ensure that the city and taxpayers would get their money back while still allowing the cinema to get off the ground.

I look forward to discussing the idea at the council meeting tonight.

Best,

Aaron Brockett

Boulder City Council member

brocketta at bouldercolorado.gov