[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: RE: Questions regarding the Human Services Strategy

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Feb 14 13:20:05 MST 2017

Sender: Rahn, Karen

Aaron,

Thank you for your questions. Please see responses below.

1)      Have you gotten feedback on the staff recommendations from the community, in particular the human services organizations that operate in the city?

We have not received feedback on the recommendations, aside from the attached letter from the Human Services Alliance. We have received one letter from a community member through HOTLINE.

2)      One of the recommendations is to reduce funding to Health and Wellness initiatives by 41% over five years. Can you list the programs that are currently funded in that category and how they might be affected by the funding decrease?

Programs in current Human Services Fund (HSF) impact areas were re-categorized into the proposed new issue areas based on best alignment of program. In some cases programs touch on more than one issue area. For purposes of the analysis, programs were categorized into the goal area that most closely aligned.

Below are the agencies funded in 2017 through the HSF, which were categorized in Health and Well-Being for the purpose of this analysis. It is likely that these agencies would experience a decrease if the recommended funding shift is implemented, without new resources. Since City of Boulder funding comprises between .03% and 15% of these agency budgets, it is difficult to predict the impact on actual programming. The degree to which agencies would experience a decrease in city funding depends on:

*         Alignment with focus areas in the goal

*         Quality of proposals

*         Ability to demonstrate implementation of three key principles

*         Degree to which programming shifts to priorities and/or providers join other agencies in more collaborative projects focused on other goal areas. Organizations categorized as "Health and Well-being" for the purpose of this analysis are not limited to projects in this issue area. For example, a health provider could be part of a collaborative proposal to address a goal in homelessness.

2017 Human Services Fund Awards - Health and Well-Being Issue Area

Agency

Category

2016 COB HSF Award

Boulder County AIDS Project

Adult Wellness

 $                        25,000.00

Boulder County Public Health GENESIS

Child Wellness

 $                        40,000.00

Boulder County Public Health GENESISTER

Child Wellness

 $                        15,000.00

Boulder Valley Women's Health Center

Adult Wellness

 $                        98,000.00

Clinica Campesina

Adult Wellness

 $                            290,000

Community Food Share

Food Security

 $                                5,000

Dental Aid

Adult Wellness

 $                            125,000

Mental Health Partners

Mental Health

 $                            350,000

TOTALS

 $                           948,000

3)      Another recommendation is to increase funding significantly for Economic Mobility and Resilience programs. Can you outline existing and/or new programs that would get that funding?

Existing programs:

Below are agencies funded in 2017 through the Human Services Fund (HSF) which were categorized in Economic Mobility and Resilience, for the purpose of this analysis. Similar to Health and Well-Being above, the degree to which these agencies experience an increase depends on:

*         Alignment with focus areas

*         Quality of proposals

*         Ability to demonstrate implementation of key principles

*         Degree to which programming shifts to new priorities or providers join other agencies in collaborative projects focused on other goal areas. For example, Emergency Family Assistance Association (EFAA) is categorized in "Homelessness" for the purpose of this analysis but they have recently undertaken a family homelessness prevention program that aligns with the Economic Mobility and Resilience focus areas.

2017 Human Services Fund Awards - Economic Mobility and Resilience Issue Area

Agency

Category

2016 COB HSF Award

Boulder County Legal Services

Low-Income Residents

$                         19,000.00

Boulder County Legal Services

Domestic Violence Survivors

$                         18,000.00

Bridge to Justice

Post-Decree Legal Services

$                           5,000.00

Community Action Development Corp

Circles

$                         10,000.00

Foothills United Way

PIE Program

$                               35,000

Immigrant Legal Center of Boulder County

$                               23,000

Intercambio Uniting Communities

Family Support

$                               20,000

YWCA

Child Care

$                               65,000

TOTALS

$                             195,000

Other existing or potential programs:

There are a number of potential programs that might fit under this category and innovative programs yet to be identified or developed:

*         I have a Dream Program (Economic Mobility and/or Good Start), as an example of an existing program with very good long term outcomes related to intergenerational poverty reduction through educational support achievement.

*         Expansion of subsidy programs such as child care, family rental housing, the city Food Tax Rebate Program, and transportation which directly impacts a household's  bottom line budget and consistent with improving livability and affordability in Boulder.

*         Employment training and re-training programs; partnerships with Work Force Boulder County and the private sector to move people into higher paying wage jobs that are in demand.

*         Financial literacy and investment programs to build and retain assets to leverage people out of poverty.

4)       I was impressed by the community engagement report by BBC Consulting. Is it possible to get the raw results of their survey?
Yes, we will send out as soon as we have it all compiled, possibly next week.

Karen Rahn
Director, Human Services Department
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D286C4.D8E84B60]
O: 303-441-3161<tel:303-441-3161> | M: 720-289-1745<tel:720-289-1745>
RahnK at BoulderColorado.gov<mailto:RahnK at BoulderColorado.gov>
909 Arapahoe | Boulder, CO 80304
BoulderColorado.gov/Human-Services<https://www.bouldercolorado.gov/Human-Services>