[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Roy Scranton on climate change impacts

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Oct 11 08:08:55 MDT 2016

Sender: Weaver, Sam

Fellow Council Members and HOTLINE followers,

I would like to bring your attention to very timely piece by Roy Scranton, an emerging voice commenting on the social dimensions of the slow-moving disaster that is man-made climate change.  Mr. Scranton is an Army veteran of the second Iraq war, and now a professor of philosophy at Notre Dame.  Here is his piece about the consequences of a future hurricane hitting the petro-chemical-complex that is the Houston - Baton Rouge corridor:

http://nyti.ms/2dM5H3p

I found the end to the piece illuminating - how hard it is to tie the disparate threads together that we must to turn our foundering ship away from the looming shoals.  While there are so many changes to make, the most urgent is a change in how we generate electricity.

Roy Scranton has also written a very passionate and incisive book called Learning to Die in the Anthropocene: Reflections on the End of a Civilization.  A combination of Zen acceptance of reality, social criticism, and climate science, this book is a mere 100 small pages long, and a tour de force.

http://www.citylights.com/book/?GCOI=87286100064510

All the best,

Sam Weaver
Member of Boulder City Council