[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: RE: Short-term rental concerns

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu May 19 08:30:43 MDT 2016

Sender: Firnhaber, Kurt

Dear Ms Brunner,

Thank you for emailing the City Council in regards to your concerns with a permanently affordable house that is being used for rental purposes. While you may hear directly from one or more council members, the following information provided by city staff may also be helpful. It is a staff response and may or may not represent the opinions of individual council members.  I am the Deputy Director of Housing for the City and have looked into your concerns when I became aware this afternoon.

I would first like to thank you for your concern for the proper and effective use of permanently affordable housing in Boulder.  We welcome such complaints and follow-up to ensure any such incidents are addressed.

After receiving your first complaint we have taken several steps to look into the rental situation at 4841 Hopkins Place.  On the 29th of April we communicated with the owner and sent through the required verification and policy information.  Since that time we have received the correct information that we would normally require to ensure compliance on residency.  On the 5th of May we also conducted a site visit where we were able to verify that the visitors staying at the house were indeed relatives.  However, we are aware that the house was being marketed for short term rentals.  The homeowner has assured us that that their home has been taken off any short term rental web sites.  Lastly, we are also working with the Rental Licensing team to further verify both the current and future rental status of this house.

I am aware that there has been regular back and forth communication between yourself and with Ms Urken  at the Housing Division in regards to your concerns in relation to your neighbor.  I appreciate your concern in ensuring the compliance of our valuable affordable housing program.  You may continue to interact with Ms Urken or Ms Delkamp.  You are also welcome to contact me for any further concerns you may have through e-mail or on my cell phone.  I will be following this over the next few days to ensure that the required follow through is in place.

Sincerely,

Kurt Firnhaber

[https://work.bouldercolorado.gov/links/fetch/900]

Kurt Firnhaber
Deputy Director of Housing
Department of Planning, Housing & Sustainability
Office: 303-441-4424
Cell:    303-917-0914
The Atrium Building, 1300 Canyon
Boulder, CO 80302