[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: RE: Celebration of immigration / cultural heritage

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Jun 30 10:09:14 MDT 2016

Sender: Marin, Corina

Dear Council Member White:

Thank you for your thoughts. This is in response to your inquiry for clarification on the issue of the Celebration of Immigrant Heritage. It is understood that the goal of the HRC funding is as you have indicated, “city should allocate funds to better support Indigenous Peoples Day and two stand-alone funding streams and community celebrations.” However, since the Celebration of Immigrant Heritage (CoIH) request for proposals is a public notice, we cannot prohibit or exclude anyone from applying. This is why in the response to Lisa I indicated, “Native People are welcome to apply.”

As for the Indigenous People’s Day celebration on Oct. 10, I understand the intent of the $5000 that the HRC has reserved is for the subcommittee to plan an inaugural ceremony. This is not a public request for proposals, but rather the HRC working with a community group to develop an event. This is why in the response to Lisa I indicated, “In addition to the Celebration of Immigrant Heritage, the Human Relations Commission (HRC) has been working with members of the Boulder Native American community to recognize and celebrate indigenous cultures. The HRC has reserved $5000 of its budget, in addition to the $5000 for Celebration of Immigrant Heritage, for a ceremony that will take place on Oct. 10. Details are still being developed between HRC and the Native American community.”

I hope this clarifies the situation. Please let Karen, and/or me, know if you have comments or other questions.

Sincerely,

Carmen Atilano

Manager, Community Relations and Office of Human Rights

[HumanServices_lockup_COBLogo]

O: 303-441-3141

atilanoc at bouldercolorado.gov<mailto:atilanoc at bouldercolorado.gov>