[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: RE: Solar Access Ordinance Study

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Jul 11 07:39:42 MDT 2016

Sender: Weaver, Sam

Mr. Rubin,

I have taken a quick look at your analysis, and there are many potential flaws in your methodology.  Of most concern to me, however, are your policy prescriptions.  You mention changing the shading analysis to only include south-facing roofs that would otherwise be unshaded.  Solar heating and power systems are currently installed routinely on all roof facings except for north.  In addition, passive solar designs routinely include solar heating of building walls which would not be included in the permit studies you have presented.  Finally, residents may trim or remove trees that shade potential current rooflines and/or add legal ADUs or OAUs, which could be affected by your suggestion to not consider shading on the sides of buildings or lot areas.

Boulder has one of the earliest and most useful solar access ordinances in the nation, and any analysis should include the issues mentioned above.  While I expect that the current ordinances might be somewhat improved, Council has a lot of issues on our legislative plate at the moment, and weakening our solar access standards is not one of our current Council priorities, and particularly not one of mine.

I am including our HOTLINE followers on this response, as I would like to hear from any interested citizens who might want to know about your proposal and analysis, which I have attached.

All the best,

Sam Weaver
Member of Boulder City Council
weavers at bouldercolorado.gov<mailto:weavers at bouldercolorado.gov>