[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Summary of Planning Board and Landmarks Board priorities

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Jan 11 07:28:14 MST 2016

Sender: Weaver, Sam

Fellow Council Members and Hotline followers,

As part of planning for our upcoming Council retreat, each Council Member has been assigned to summarize the priorities of a few Boards/Commissions, as expressed in their annual letters to Council.  I have been assigned to summarize the Planning Board and the Landmarks Board priorities.  Since I will miss the study session this Tuesday regarding this topic, I am sending my summary via this email.  Below and attached you will find my summary of the main points contained in these Board's respective annual letters.  I encourage you all to read the full letters (also attached) to get the source recommendations in addition to my summaries.

Planning Board:

1)     Do not over-commit.  Maintain focus on key priorities, leave room in the work plan for issues that arise organically.  Focus on effective community outreach across all work plan items.

2)     Focus on housing for the middle-class whose affordability is rapidly eroding.

3)     Encourage to the maximum extent possible ON-SITE affordable housing in new developments.

4)     Work to preserve existing affordable housing.

5)     Reform and update co-op housing regulations.

6)     Set even higher levels of affordable housing for annexations.

7)     Increase affordable housing targets beyond 10% and target up to 150% AMI.

8)     Consider re-zoning of current commercial and industrial to mixed use and residential.  Perform use table review and consider allowing small commercial uses in residential districts.

9)     Define community benefit in Title 9, and define its relation to height and density bonuses.  Require that review criteria in Site Plan Review are consistent with current City goals.  Require that community benefits presented during site review are implemented in built projects.

10)  Implement more granular planning areas.  Re-define current 'sub-communities' and begin on-going planning processes in them.

11)  Focus on Pollard site and its impact on achieving TVAP goals.

12)  Plan Broadway re-developments holistically - perhaps this area needs to be first subcommunity planning focus.

13)  Update use tables, sign code, promote bike parking, improve transit stops, require new development to be prepared for the addition of on-site solar power and electric vehicle charging.

14)  Promote community resiliency in the following areas:

a.     Floodplain definition

b.     South Boulder flood mitigation

c.      Critical facility requirements

d.     Wildland urban interface requirements

e.     Local food security and production

15)  Tie all City planning into 80% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions, including continuing improvements in building energy codes and fostering new energy provision models.

Landmarks Board:

1)      Continue to work to preserve smaller historic buildings

2)      Have Council adopt the Landmarks Board Housing Tool as Part of the Housing Strategy.

3)      Preserve bandshell in current location.

4)      Preserve mining and railroad history in Civic Area.

5)      Landmark Dushanbe Teahouse, Atrium Building, North Wind of Library.

6)      Downtown guidelines should focus on preserving historic aspects of downtown.

7)      Develop guidelines for preserving historic aspects of buildings while improving energy efficiency.

8)      Manage Chautauqua improvements to be in compliance with other City goals such as Dark Skies initiative and site wildness.

9)      Manage multiple goals across boards such as housing affordability, sustainability and landmark preservation.

10)   Include Landmarks Board in decisions on Uni Hill revitalization and the Harbeck-Bergheim House disposition.

11)   Improve follow-up and review of work performed under Landmark Alteration Certificates.

12)   Review and possibly restrict the location of banking businesses in the downtown core.  Note that many new banks locations are coming to Pearl Street both on and off the mall.

13)   Support increased public outreach on the value of land-marking.

14)   Support new historic survey plan for city, including review of incentives for land-marking.
All the best,

Sam Weaver
Member of Boulder City Council
weavers at bouldercolorado.gov<mailto:sam at sam4council.org>