[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Matters on Tuesday

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Aug 11 09:44:21 MDT 2016

Sender: Morzel, Lisa

Dear Council

As you are aware, I've been working with the Public Participation Working Group. The core group has been meeting and reviewing the 57 applications of interest we received. The core group has made recommendations to the city manager for 12 individuals in addition to 3 alternates. The city manager will make the final decision as to who will serve on this final group.

While the core group received great applications and is recommending a group representing geographic and gender diversity, the fact remains that the group is not diverse in a number of ways that is reflective of our community's ethic, racial, and economic diversity.  I am concerned with the fact that there was not as diverse an applicant pool that better reflects our community. As you also are aware, the City has recently invested $165,000 to try to create a more welcoming and diverse community. I'm concerned if we take only the recommendations from the core group, the public participation working group will not reflect the diversity of the community and certainly will not appear to be welcoming or inclusive. We should strive to be inclusive in our public participation.

At our next Council meeting next Tuesday August 16 under matters, I will recommend that Council ask the city manager to solicit/recruit three more people to be on the committee, representing economic and cultural diversity.  I will also recommend that the time line proposed by the city manager be slightly changed  - with council directing the committee to bring back its report in the second quarter of 2017.  This would allow some delay time up front while the city manager identifies and appoints three new people, plus it would give the committee some breathing room so that they do not have to meet so often, easing the schedule a bit on the members.

This approach keeps the process moving, keeps faith with the people who have already applied but also allows for a chance to add diversity, and gives the group some flexibility with the timeline.

I will raise this Tuesday under matters.
Thanks.