[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: For Consideration by Council at Aug 2nd Mtg: PROPOSED GUIDANCE ON SCHEDULING STUDY SESSIONS

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Aug 1 12:26:10 MDT 2016

Sender: Jones, Suzanne

Dear All—

Given divergent direction from Council members about the conflicting desires to have both shorter Council meetings but to also have fewer topics covered in each study session, CAC thought it would be useful for Council to clarify our approach to scheduling study session agendas. Please note, in the coming weeks, we will also bring forth other related process issues affecting meeting length to get clearer Council direction.

Thanks,
Zan

PROPOSED GUIDANCE ON SCHEDULING STUDY SESSIONS – FOR CONSIDERATION BY COUNCIL

The CAC, in consultation with staff, should use its discretion to determine the number of agenda items to be discussed at study sessions.

The goal in scheduling agenda items is to balance the desire to have in-depth, substantive discussion about Council priority topics with the need to efficiently achieve our agreed-upon workplan for the year, while also staying within our meeting time allotments.

In general, one topic per three-hour study session is preferred for high-priority, complex issues where a lot of guidance from Council is being requested. Two topics per study session is more appropriate for topics that Council discusses periodically and has already been presented with a fair amount of background. Occasional briefings/updates from 5:30 to 6:00 are also appropriate for high-priority topics where no guidance is needed, but public exposure on Channel 8 is desired.