[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Questions regarding funding homeless facilities/organization

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Aug 1 09:30:20 MDT 2016

Sender: Morzel, Lisa

Good morning,

in anticipation of this evening's tour, i pose the following questions:

1. The city and county fund operating expenses at the Boulder Homeless Shelter.  Currently, how much 2016 public funding does the Shelter receive? Does the City & County also fund Bridge House 2016 operating expenses -and if so, how much?

2. The Shelter currently is open for emergency beds from mid-October thru mid-April and has transitional beds in the summer. How many emergency beds and transitional beds are available for what periods of time? Additionally, is it still the case that the Shelter is not open during daytime hours (except for Resource Center pilot hours twice a weak). During the period when the Shelter is open, I 've heard that the Shelter is at roughly 90% evening occupancy--is that correct?  Why is the Shelter not currently filling the beds? Shouldn't the community utilize the Shelter 100% of the time, basically 8,760 hours a year before we invest in tiny homes?

3. The Bridge House Ready to Work House and Community Table Kitchen are well run and well managed facilities. Can we figure out how better to utilize the Bridge House  leadership for solutions and help those in need of these services identify pathways to come off the streets?

Thanks

Lisa

Lisa Morzel
Member, Boulder City Council

303-938-8520 h
303-815-6723 c

"We interact with one another as individuals responding to a complex haze of factors: professional responsibilities, personal likes and dislikes, ambition, jealousy, self-interest, and, in at least some instances, genuine altruism.  Living in the here and now, we are awash with sensations of the present, memories of the past, and expectations and fears for the future. Our actions are not determined by any one cause; they are the fulfillment of who we are at that particular moment.  After that moment passes, we continue to evolve, to change, and our memories of that moment inevitably change with us as we live with the consequences of our past actions, consequences we were unaware of at the time." The Last Stand, Nathaniel Philbrick