[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Folsom update tonight

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Jul 31 09:27:37 MDT 2015

Sender: Morzel, Lisa

Tonight, Maureen Rait, our acting city manager and director of Public Works, will provide an update on the recently implemented changes to Folsom.

I appreciate this and will be asking that given the more complete update will occur in a study session on August 25, when will the public be able to have public comment to council on this and when would council have an opportunity to give direction, if it wants to change current direction.  We need a public meeting where public input is given.

I also wonder if tweaks to what has been emplaced can occur while the "experiment" is continuing.
A few observations:
1. At mid-day during the week heading south on Folsom, I noted many driving south on Folsom want to make a left turn at pearl and head east.  This resulted in a long line of cars backed up several blocks north of Pearl extending north of Pine. It appears that a double left turn may be required to eliminate this blockage of several blocks. Wat can be done at this intersection to improve this situation?

2. As a bicyclist, while I like the bit of extra room for the bike lane and the buffer between the cars, I find the delineators not very safe as it is difficult for bicyclists to pass other bicyclists in the bike lane.  Additionally the isolated delineator at right angles to the line of delineators is an accident for a bicyclist waiting to happen.  I'd like to see, at a minimum, the isolated delineators removed.

3. As a bicyclist, I came across a police car with flashing lights that had pulled a vehicle over and into the bike lane and buffer area forcing me out into the now single lane of through traffic only to be angrily honked at by passing cars. Somehow police pull overs in the bike lanes needs to be addressed.

4.  The bike lanes at the intersections at Folsom and Valmont, north of Valmont, going south and Folsom and Canyon, going north and south (which used to be painted green) are now absent and confusing to both the bicyclist and the motorist. Can we improve on that?

5.  Also given the volume of public comment we have had to date on this, I would like the experiment to be extended into the fall so we better understand the impacts of the students, the impacts from rain, snow, and ice, and how the bike lanes are to be plowed or maintained with the delineators in place.

Thanks

*********

Lisa Morzel
Member of Boulder City Council

"Politics is what we create by what we do, what we hope for, and what we dare to imagine."  Paul Wellstone 1944-2002