[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Height Ordinance - By right height plus roof and architectural features

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Feb 24 08:59:46 MST 2015

Sender: Cowles, Macon

Buildings constructed within the last fifteen years are often criticized because they are flat-topped: that is, if a height exception is granted, the sponsor builds as much leasable space as possible right up to the height limit. We do not see, therefore,
 sloped or gabled roofs, belfries, towers or other architectural features that can make a building more widely appreciated.

If the Planning Board recommendation is adopted by Council, we can expect a continuation of flat topped structures--but the tops of the buildings will simply be 35 or 38 feet tall.

I would like to hear from staff and the public on Thursday about how the Planning Board recommendation could be amended so as to permit through Site Review roofs, parapets, belfries and architectural features
above the by right limitation. I don't think that it would be complicated to write such an addition to the ordinance proposed by Planning Board, and I would like to see the language that would permit such to be drafted and available for consideration Thursday.

Thank you.

Macon Cowles
Sent from an iPad