[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: US Census data for Boulder

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Aug 31 09:25:44 MDT 2015

Sender: Cowles, Macon

Sam, thanks for doing this.

As I understand, the jobs and population data used by the City in the community profile is also based on the American Community Survey data, and the census data for the decadal counts also plays an important part. In 2000, we challenged the census data count of the Boulder population because the census count was too low. And of course if the count is too low, it means that the County and City do not get their fair share of money from federal programs.

Deriving changes in population during only the years 2010 to 2014 is useful, because it focuses on Boulder during a booming economy.

However, it is also useful to take into account a longer view of population growth in Boulder, as you did with jobs. Below are the derived increases in population growth.

Using the Community Profile:

2000 population estimate:    96,101
2014 population estimate:  104,810
% population change 2000 to 2014: 9.06%
Derived annual population increase rate: 0.65%

Using Census data using your links and mine:

2000 population estimate:    94,673
2014 population estimate:  105,112
% population change 2000 to 2014: 11.03%
Derived annual population increase rate: 0.79%

I do not make excuses for exponential growth. But it can be useful in the policy arena to keep in mind the numbers measured both across short time periods and longer ones.

Macon Cowles
Boulder City Council Member
1726 Mapleton Ave.
Boulder, Colorado 80304