[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: US Census data for Boulder

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Aug 31 09:23:03 MDT 2015

Sender: Weaver, Sam

Fellow Council members and HOTLINE followers,

Here are some data about Boulder as reported by the US Census Bureau that I thought might interest you in light of our Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan update kickoff which is tomorrow night August 21 at 4pm at Chautauqua.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/08/0807850.html

2010 population estimate: 97,468
2014 population estimate: 105,112
% Population change 2010 to 2014: 7.8%
Derived annual population increase rate: 1.9%

This would imply the following Boulder residential population figures:

2010   97,468
2011   99,325
2012 101,217
2013 103,146
2014 105,112

Turning to jobs, performing a linear regression on the US Census data for employment in Boulder between 2002 and 2013 shows an employment growth rate (jobs in Boulder) of 0.8% annually.  This does not include self-employment in Boulder.

For those that are interested, the data for employment come from here:
http://onthemap.ces.census.gov/ and the geographic region is Boulder city, Colorado.  The raw employment data are below as well as the linear regression fit, and the chart of the data is attached with the fit.

Linear regression fit: y=640.78 + 76771, R^2=0.4621.  This smooths out the lumpiness of the data and tells us that on average the Boulder economy has added about 640 jobs per year since 2002, not including self-employment additions.

2002  78,853
2003  74,627
2004  79,394
2005  80,714