[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Oct. 23 Study Session

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Sep 22 13:53:55 MDT 2014

Sender: Appelbaum, Matt

Colleagues – Hi.  Since I won’t be at the Oct. 23 study session I thought I’d offer some very brief comments on the issue of expanding the smoking ban (and I’ve attached Arvada’s regulations
 for an example of what a suburban community has had on the books for some time):
·
Having worked on this for a very long time and watched many, many other cities improve and expand their non-smoking regulations, it is long past time that we did this.  Please
 direct staff to bring the ordinance to council for action this year.  Don’t delay and don’t reduce its scope.  This is simply – and importantly – about health and livability in a city that prides itself in ranking at the top in both.
·
Add all of Chautauqua.
·
Add the golf course and ensure that all parks and recreation facilities are included.
·
Don’t exclude the downtown alleys.  This will clearly not work and will cause all sorts of problems.  Yes, doing so will no doubt inconvenience some people, as will other parts
 of this ordinance, but it’s time to get this right.
·
Add all outdoor dining areas (which so far as I know are still somehow exempted) and within 25’ of them.
·
Change the non-smoking distance of 15’ from entryways to 25’.
·
Include e-cigarettes.
·
Do it!