[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Input for Development/Growth Discussion

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Sep 12 15:24:00 MDT 2014

Sender: Plass, Tim

Here is my input for the upcoming session on growth/development:

Issues:
—Does the Planning Board have the appropriate tools for evaluating applications that come through the discretionary review process?
—Do we need to look more closely at height modifications in particular and tie them to community benefit?
—Are density bonuses working the way we intended?
—How do we get better design/architecture?
—Is our growth limit working? Do we need to consider closing loopholes?
—Are we just getting density for density’s sake, or are we assuring that density is helping to meet our community sustainability goals?
—Does the community understand the extent of buildout that is possible under current zoning? Do they support that level of development/intensity?
—What does the current building boom mean for our community character?
—Is our future that of a college town or a small city? Can the two co-exist?

Possible Action Items:
—Enhance site review criteria to give the Planning Board more tools for discretionary review applications.
—Review and consider changing how we give out height modifications
—Review and reconsider when density bonuses are giving us the desired benefits.
—Look at tools/incentives for assuring better design.
—Review and consider changing loopholes to the growth limit.
—Review of higher density projects built/in the pipeline. Consider tying intensity/density above by right to community benefit.
—Model graphically how much build out is possible under current zoning. Allow for review by public to determine community support.
—Assess what the current building boom means for Boulder’s character. Gauge community support.

Tim Plass