[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Planning issues for Tuesday's discussion

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Sep 12 07:57:34 MDT 2014

Sender: Appelbaum, Matt

Some initial thoughts:

Concerns include:

·
Zoning not providing what we want/expect and/or allowing what we don’t want/don’t expect

·
By-right development of “larger” projects allows inappropriate structures

·
“Community benefit” from development, especially when granted variances/bonuses, needs review

·
Certain basic zoning requirements, such as required “open space” may be forcing undesired outcomes

·
Development fees/taxes should be reviewed and better aligned with predicted, long-term costs/impacts, both capital and operating

·
Relationship between C/I development (and jobs) and housing/transportation impacts

·
Design issues: how to improve building design and ensure that changes post-review don’t dilute envisioned outcomes

·
Exemptions of certain types of residential growth from the growth management system, particularly mixed-use projects

·
Ensuring that, as best as we can, the complex interrelationships among planning/zoning, transportation, housing, infrastructure, etc. are better understood and considered

Possible action items include:

·
“Assigning” these issues of concern to the Planning Board/staff (and others as appropriate) for analysis and recommendations after public outreach

·
Determining if some of these issues can and need to be handled more quickly, even if just with temporary measures while more detailed work is underway

·
Ensuring that the broader issues be incorporated into the comp plan update and also into the East Arapahoe planning efforts

·
Ensuring that the comp plan update public process includes as many people as possible, representative of our residents, and particularly focusing on those who traditionally have not been engaged

·
Determining impacts on the current work plan

--Matt