[bouldercouncilhotline] HOTLINE: May 27 Council SS on the Comprehensive Housing Strategy

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri May 23 09:21:23 MDT 2014

Sender: Sugnet, Jay

On May 15, the Planning Board discussed the Comprehensive Housing Strategy in preparation for the May 27 City Council Study Session. The Council memo was finalized prior to the Planning Board meeting - below is feedback focused on three
 areas:

Foundations Work

·
There was interest in data related to seniors. Would like to know more about the current situation of seniors expressing a desire for new housing types. Seniors are a large demographic and have a wide range of housing needs. Millennials
 are similar in many ways.

·
There were questions about how foundations work relates to previous efforts (RGMS, Integrated Plan, projections for jobs, housing, and overall growth).

Draft Goals

·
Board members expressed support for the goals.

·
Some concern that we need to decide as a community what do we want to be when we grow up before we can figure out housing.

·
Discussion about understanding trade-offs of goals and tools as part of the strategy.

·
The action word “create” may signify to some that the focus is mainly on new units.

·
Desire to add a separate goal related to sustainability – preserving existing housing/repurposing existing structures and affordability (staff believes this is more of a tool and suggest adding a bullet under Goal 3 instead of
 an entire new goal).

Early Wins

·
Board members expressed support for the list and order.

·
ADU notice requirement – some members expressed concern and others  were supportive of eliminating the requirement.

·
ADU parking – consider specific zones or neighborhoods. May be too controversial (even in outer neighborhoods).

·
ADU – consider provisions to encourage landmark designation by allowing ADU on the same lot (staff will evaluate as part of the toolkit, but due to the complexity of the is not something to consider as an early win).

·
Seniors – consider mixture of ages. Some younger (i.e., grad students) to help seniors.

·
ROW Density Calc – the memo says no issues, but Planning Board raised numerous concerns that will be transmitted to Council as part of the proposal.

Jay Sugnet, Project Manager
Comprehensive Housing Strategy
City of Boulder
303.441.4057