[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Parking Services - Lollypop signs - Variable messaging

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Jun 24 08:35:41 MDT 2014

Sender: Cowles, Macon

Dear Jane,

As I pointed out at the AMPS study session, some cities have studied downtown traffic and found that the overwhelming number of cars moving on downtown streets are looking for parking spaces. In Freiburg, Germany, for example, a study revealed that 74%
 of downtown traffic were actually cars looking for those spaces.

In light of that, I have the following questions:

Do we have the technology within the structured parking lots downtown to tell how many vacant spaces are within the structure? If so, is there any reason why we cannot display this information on the Lollypop signs outside each structure?

What is the suite of variable messaging that is displayed by our Lollypop signs? Who makes the decision about what message to display? Where is the message on the sign typed into the system?

Why not link the number of remaining available spaces directly to the sign?

Did the COB publish specifications for the Lollypop signs that would tell vendors what specs we wanted in the signs? Did we get what we asked for?

Here is the only message most people have ever seen on the Lollypop sign on 15th Street ("Open: Welcome to Boulder"):

On the other side of this sign, this appears:

I am curious to know why we don't display THIS message so that it can be seen by motorists. Motorists cannot see this message about free parking, because the Park Free message is facing downstream on a one way street. To be seen by motorists, it would
 have to be facing upstream.

Why doesn't the sign say, "25 spaces available?" Or "Free Parking on weekends!" Or "Shady parking spots inside!"

I also took photographs of the Lollypop sign at the RTD station. I have the same questions about those signs. The Park Free message faces a direction that cannot be seen by motorists; and the "Welcome to Boulder" message is the only thing that most people
 have seen displayed on the electronic sign.

Thanks.

Macon Cowles
Boulder City Council Member

1726 Mapleton Ave.