[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: 8-80 Cities Forum

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Jun 20 16:05:53 MDT 2014

Sender: Young, Mary

This week, I had the privilege of attending the Doable Cities Forum that was organized by 8-80 Cities and sponsored by the Knight Foundation. 8-80 Cities is a Canadian non-profit whose Executive Director is Gil Peñalosa who was Parks Commissioner when his brother
 Enrique Peñalosa was Mayor. Together, they transformed Bogotá, Colombia into an equitable place that welcomes everyone. Their philosophy is that if you create a city that’s good for an 8 year old and good for an 80 year old, you will create a successful city
 for everyone.

The elements of an 8-80 City are:

8-80 Cities are communities built for people. They reflect social equality in the public realm and promote sustainable happiness.

They nurture our need to be physically active by providing safe, accessible and enjoyable places for everyone walk, bike and be active as part of our daily routine.

They recognize that people are social creatures and prioritize human interaction by fostering vibrant streets and great public places where people can rest, relax and play.

8-80 Cities encourage sustainable and healthy lifestyles for everyone regardless of age, gender, ability, ethnicity or economic background.

You can read more about this organization at
http://www.8-80cities.org/who-we-are.

Speakers included Charles Mongtomery, author of Happy City, Dan Burden, founder of Walkable Communities, Mia Birk of Alta Planning + Design, Gia Biagi, Chief of Staff at the Chicago Park District as well as various others who spoke
 on topics such as innovations in public spaces and outreach methods. We also went on field trips.

In particular, I wanted to share the idea of Living Innovation Zones currently being developed in San Francisco with the help of Gehl Architects. LIZs seek to create a flexible framework to harnesses the city’s creativity using
 City-owned assets, such as public spaces (which include streets), and partnerships with leading organizations as catalysts for exploration, innovation and play. http://liz.innovatesf.com/

I came back with a lot more information and ideas and would be very happy to share.

Sincerely,

Mary Dolores Young
youngm at bouldercolorado.gov