[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Response To Request Concerning Naloxone

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Jun 18 13:17:50 MDT 2014

Sender: Donner, Larry

Dear Council Member Weaver,

Both police and fire have been in conversation with our medical advisor, Dr. Todd Dorman, regarding Narcan© auto injectors for use by our field personnel. Narcan© is one of the trade names for naloxone. Prior
 to responding, to your request, I checked the status of these conversations to provide you with the most up-to-date information.

Dr. Dorfman will be making a presentation to Police staff on Narcan© next week. This briefing had been scheduled by Deputy Chief Hayes prior to his departure to Louisville. On the fire side, Deputy Chief Calderazzo
 has been working on a parallel track to determine if our crews should carry the Narcan© auto injectors based on local needs.

Dr. Dorfman’s research indicates that AMR administers Narcan about 100 times a year in the Boulder area. While Narcan is a prescription drug, it is not a controlled substance which simplifies potential security
 and inventory overhead for agencies using the drug. There can be adverse side effects as with any prescription drug but Dr. Dorfman did not report seeing any negative impacts from Narcan's© use by AMR or in the emergency room. Regarding the risk/benefit of
 using Narcan©, a comparison can be made to EpiPens© used for severe allergic reactions to various insect bites or food allergies.

As with any change in medical response procedures, personnel would be trained in the appropriate use and administration of the drug prior to implementation.

Regards.

Larry D. Donner
City of Boulder Fire Chief
1805 33rd Street