[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Resolution in support of County Clerk Hillary Hall and the certification of Boulder County election results

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Dec 15 15:13:47 MST 2014

Sender: Weaver, Sam

CAC, Fellow Council Members, and Hotline followers,

Attached you will find (and text below) a resolution that I would like to see Council consider adopting at Tuesday’s meeting.  It concerns the recent non-certification by the Boulder County canvass board and the Colorado Secretary of State of Boulder County’s local election results.  Since Boulder is a home-rule city, we certified our portion of the results as reported by the County Clerk.  The races of other cities and the County races were not able to be certified in such a manner, so the actions of the canvass board and the Secretary of State have clouded results that were very clear.  With this resolution I would like to emphasize the high regard that Boulder extends to our County Clerk and her balloting process, as well as the critical value that we place on all levels of government recognizing the will of the Boulder voters as demonstrated by their ballots.

Thanks for your consideration,

Sam Weaver
Member of Boulder City Council
weavers at bouldercolorado.gov
Phone: 303-416-6130

RESOLUTION NO. _______

A RESOLUTION EXPRESSING SUPPORT FOR BOULFRT COUNTY CLERK HILLARY HALL AND THE WILL OF THE BOULDER COUNTY ELECTORATE IN THE ELECTION OF 2014

THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF BOULDER, COLORADO, FINDS AND RECITES THAT:
1.         An effective representative democracy depends on full and fair access to the ballot box, as well as recognition by all government bodies of the valid will of the voters as expressed by their cast ballots.

2.         Throughout her career, Boulder County Clerk Hillary Hall has been a champion of voting rights and has steadfastly opposed those who would restrict ballot access.

3.         Hillary Hall has been elected three times by the voters of Boulder County.

4.         Hillary Hall has always acted in the best interest of the people of Boulder County.

5.         There has never been a finding by any court or prosecutor that Hillary Hall has done anything but maintain the highest professional standards while executing her duties as the chief election official for Boulder County.

6.         The Boulder City Council has never found any reason to question the election tallies produced by Hillary Hall.

7.         Under its Home Rule Charter, the canvassing board for the City of Boulder is the Boulder City Council, and, as such, has certified the results of all of the city’s 2014 ballot measures.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF BOULDER, COLORADO:

Section 1.        The City of Boulder supports full and fair participation by all eligible voters in Boulder County.

Section 2.        The City of Boulder supports recognition by all levels of government of the will of the people of Boulder County and the political subdivisions therein as expressed by the casting and counting of their ballots.

Section 3.        The City of Boulder recognizes Hillary Hall has an exemplary public official who performs outstanding
 work for the benefit of the people of Boulder County, particularly in the area of promoting ballot access and voting rights.

Section 4.        The City of Boulder supports the actions of the County Clerk in recognizing and certifying all other Boulder County local
 and special district election results that have been cast into doubt because of the actions and inactions of the Boulder County canvassing board and the outgoing Colorado Secretary of State.

Section 5.        The City of Boulder urges the Colorado Secretary of State to certify all election results in the 2014 election in Boulder County, not just the state and federal results.

APPROVED this 16th day of December, 2014.

                                                                                    Mayor

ATTEST:

City Clerk