[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Project List prior to the September 2 Meeting

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Aug 28 11:31:21 MDT 2014

Sender: Driskell, David

Staff is happy to prepare information, and to host or participate in a tour, but will not be able to do so in time for Tuesday’s meeting (particularly given
 that city offices are closed on Monday for the national holiday).

It is our understanding that the discussion on Tuesday is focused on whether there is a majority of Council that wishes to schedule an agenda item for the purpose
 of discussing recent development trends and outcomes. We can and will certainly prepare information along the lines of what is being requested for that subsequent discussion, when scheduled.

I will also be available at this coming Tuesday’s meeting to outline activities being organized leading up to the already scheduled joint study session with
 Planning Board on October 14th regarding the 2015 Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan Update.  These include a tour of recent developments and a proposed discussion with Victor Dover to review and evaluate recent development outcomes, not dissimilar
 to the tour and evaluative information being requested in today’s emails.

Yesterday the question was also raised regarding the sequencing of Tuesday’s discussion regarding the Comprehensive Housing Strategy and the discussion scheduled
 for later in the evening under “matters” regarding development activity overall.  Staff is open to whichever sequencing Council prefers. However, a couple points worth keeping in mind: 1) the CHS is about a broad range of potential housing strategies, some
 of which intersect with development concerns we are hearing expressed (large apartment buildings, too many new and/or rental units, etc.) and some of which do not (preservation of affordable units, ADUs/OAUs, “tiny homes,” 15-minute neighborhoods, etc.); and
 2) the CHS will not, in itself, result in changes to land use, zoning, codes or programs: its intent is to establish a strategic framework and clear priorities that will inform subsequent work plan items and implementation actions.  These points may or may
 not inform Council’s direction on the desired sequencing of the conversations, but we thought it worth bringing them forward.

Let me know if there are questions.  We look forward to the conversation(s) on Tuesday!

David

David Driskell,
AICP
Executive Director, Community Planning + Sustainability

Interim Housing Director
City of Boulder
1739 Broadway, 4th Floor / Boulder, CO 80302
mail: PO Box 791 / Boulder, CO 80306-0791
email: DriskellD at bouldercolorado.gov
office: (+1) 303.441.3425 / cell: (+1) 303.330.3722