[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Grandfathering of MJ businesses downtown

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Oct 22 16:25:09 MDT 2013

Sender: Cowles, Macon

After receiving the email from DBI asking that no more marijuana businesses be located on the first floor of downtown, I asked Sean Maher of DBI whether DBI intended to cause any existing MJ businesses downtown to close, or is it OK if the existing businesses at ground level are grandfathered in.

Specifically, I asked him, "Does Downtown have any objection to these four businesses being grandfathered, so that the new regulation does not apply to them, but would apply to future licensees?"

Sean's response to me on September 9 was as follows, and he gave me permission to post this to the Hotline:

"Thanks for following up on this. DBI is not advocating to shut down any existing small businesses. The board's intent is to prevent further proliferation of MJ businesses in high profile locations going forward. "

Council will want to have this in mind when considering "grandfathering" existing businesses in the MJ regulations under consideration tomorrow night.

Macon Cowles
Boulder City Council Member
1726 Mapleton Ave.
Boulder, Colorado 80304