[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Anti-wage theft legislation

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Nov 20 08:08:00 MST 2013

Sender: Jones, Suzanne

Dear All--

With apologies for the late notice, below is background information from Rep. Jonathan Singer about a bill he intends to sponsor--the Income Protection Act--to help prevent wage theft from low and middle income workers. It is also the top legislative priority
 of the Colorado Immigration Rights Coalition.

While the details of this legislation are still being negotiated, I wanted Council members to be aware of this issue as we discuss our legislative agenda tonight.  In addition, if folks are amenable, we might want to add language to page 22 of our legislative
 agenda at the end of the Human Services/Human Rights section along the lines of:

"Wage theft is a common problem across Colorado in which an employee is denied the wages that they earned through their labor. It takes various forms and the statutes currently in place at the state level do not provide adequate remedies or protections
 for these workers in our state. Victims of wage theft are often lower-income and each incident of wage theft puts the individual and family at risk of losing their housing or not having access to food and other necessities of daily life. The City supports
 legislation at the state level (e.g., the Income Protection Act by Singer-Ulibarrri) to counter wage-theft by increasing administrative remedies that provide more access to justice for workers trying to secure wages that they earned."

Begin forwarded message: