[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: RE: Questions re June 4 Agenda items 5A and 7B

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu May 30 08:05:40 MDT 2013

Sender: Appelbaum, Matt

I'll simply add a couple of questions on Agenda item 5A:

-- Section 6-1-7(a)(2): The first sentence regarding access to water is proposed to be deleted, according to the agenda memo, because you can't prove an animal has "sufficient" access to water.  While this isn't a big deal, I don't really understand how this is so different than (a)(1), which requires a "sufficient" quantity of food.  Seems like if someone is mistreating an animal (that is not tethered/confined), by either lack of food or water, we might want to be able to do something about it.

-- Section 6-1-20(a): While the memo gives a somewhat plausible rationale for including "or domestic animal," I'd still like a truly plausible example of when this would be applied when the attack is not "capable of being consummated," either in regard to people or domestic animals, but especially the latter.

-- Section 6-1-20(d): I suppose that not being "entitled" to present certain evidence doesn't exactly preclude one from doing so, but why the need to state this explicitly instead of just leaving it to judicial discretion?  If a dog does bit another dog, might it not be relevant to know that the bitten dog has been previously involved in such incidents and thus might have also been "responsible" (even if it did not "intentionally provoke")?

Thanks --Matt