[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Shareholder approval of injecting a corporation's money into politics following Citizens United

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed May 29 11:33:37 MDT 2013

Sender: Cowles, Macon

At our June 4 meeting, we will be discussing reform of Boulder campaign finance laws in the wake of the Citizens United decision of the US Supreme Court. The option before us will
 include requiring shareholder consent as a condition of a corporation's spending money to support or oppose candidates or issues

I recommend reading the NYT OpEd on this topic by the Founder and former CEO of Vanguard, one of the largest and most respected group of mutual funds and index funds in the country. The article can be found here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/15/opinion/15bogle.html

Macon Cowles
Boulder City Councilor