[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: 5/21/2013 - Agenda Item 5A

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon May 20 09:19:49 MDT 2013

Sender: Ageton, Suzy

I still have questions and some edits for the proposed amendments to Ordinance 13-2.

1)  Since political committees are defined as both accepting contributions and making expenditures on behalf of council candidates, why are they required to report only on their expenditures?  If one of the goals of 13-2 is transparency, don't we want to know who the contributions are coming from specifically along with how they are being spent?

2)  According to the definition of a political committee,  one of its distinguishing features is that it has members.  How are members defined, specifically for a corporation?  There is also a reference in the memo to these members being "dues paying."  If a group, association, corporation, etc. does not have dues paying members, does that mean it does not qualify as a political committee?

There are a few edits to clean up the language in 13-2.

1)  packet page 109, (d) (3), strike the phrase "or to support or oppose an issue"
2)  the ordinance is inconsistent in referring to "a candidate" or to "candidate(s)," we should choose one form or the other

Suzy

Sent from my iPad