[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Amendments to Campaign Finance Disclosures, BRC 13-2

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed May 8 08:31:35 MDT 2013

Sender: Cowles, Macon

Here are the two things I think are important to have at the 2d reading of the ordinance.

1. We should get the input of the people who were on the citizens group that brought the original ordinance forward 12-15 years ago.

2. The ordinance change would require issue and campaign committees to make their financial reports 42, 28 and 14 days prior to the election, as well as filing reports after the election. Given
 the fact that the overwhelming majority of voters now vote by mail in Boulder, the information about campaign spending would work better if the reporting were instead required 35, 21 and 7 days prior to the election. One could argue that it would be even better
 to add a reporting requirement on the Friday before the election.

Macon Cowles
Boulder City Councilor