[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Questions regarding Open Space Taxes and Ballot Measures

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Jun 14 16:59:11 MDT 2013

Sender: Jones, Suzanne

Dear Colleagues--
I would also be interested in putting renewal of one or more of our Open Space taxes on the ballot this year. However I need more information regarding the allocations suggested by KC and others, and have several questions to that end that
 I would like answered in order to have a more thorough Council discussion about the most appropriate path forward.
Regarding the mechanics of a tax extension:
--If Open Space taxes are extended and redirected in part to other purposes, does it constitute a new tax (with required TABOR language) as opposed to an extension? Are the Open Space taxes different because they currently go to the restricted
 Open Space Fund?

--Can we extend both taxes as one ballot measure or would they need to be separate measures?

In order to determine how much funding the Open Space Dept needs to fully complete the City'a acquisition vision (which I think should be the goal), it would be helpful to have the following information:
--I would like to see sales tax projections over the life of the tax extension (15 or 20 years) using a range of sales tax returns. My understanding is that sales tax projections are usually calculated with assumption of 3% annual growth
 rate, which we haven’t seen in a while. Given how the recent economic downturn(s) greatly changed the acquisition capacity of the OSMP Dept, we should model what the revenue projections would be at lower rates that reflects another downturn or two over the
 next 20 years.
--Regarding the General Fund transfer, if we are likely to see a proposal from the city manager to do away with this annual transfer to OSMP in the near future, than we need to see modeling of the OSMP
 budget with and without that transfer
--In looking at what funds are needed to meet our open space acquisition vision, I am concerned that we have underestimated the funding needed for a few key items: to acquire connections and build the
 regional recreation trails that we have discussed; to purchase open space minerals and lease rights, and water rights; and to make sure we have adequately addressed our local food ambitions (e.g., Longs Garden) I, for one, think it is appropriate to house
 local food efforts within the OSMP department although others may disagree. I would like to see financial modeling that contains increases in those categories as appropriate.
Finally, in preparation for such a discussion, I think Council would benefit from seeing the memo that went to the Open Space Board of Trustees for their meeting this past week, which contained some
 initial financial modeling.  Could that be sent out to Council today?
 Much thanks,
Suzanne