[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Question on floodplain mapping

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Sep 18 08:14:25 MDT 2012

Sender: Wilson, Ken

I have a question on the floodplain mapping agenda item.  The motion recommends that the more restrictive of the current and proposed mappings will be used during FEMA review.  I thought we usually use the less restrictive when under review.  I am thinking of some of the previous remappings we have done.

I also note that we have a resident who is criticizing our current high hazard zone ordinances.  When was the current ordinance adapted or last modified?

A third question or request.  Can staff discuss our processes for acquiring properties in the high hazard zone, both before a flood and after a flood.  I seem to remember that when we purchase properties in the high hazard zone that have not been impacted by a flood, we use a different valuation than we apparently do after a flood.

One comment.  Changing the mapping is a very distinct process from changing an ordinance regarding what happens with the regulation of properties in the flood zones and how the city handles such properties.

My apologies for the late questions.  I have been very busy working two jobs besides council and we just received the lengthy complaint from an impacted citizen today.

Ken Wilson