[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Oct. 16 City Council Meeting: Proposed Amendment for Reliability Metric

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Oct 16 09:47:29 MDT 2012

Sender: Bailey, Heather

Ken,
Based on our recent discussion, and your request that we show SAIDI and SAIFI based design targets to reflect Xcel’s most recent performance, staff is proposing to revise the reliability metric language for the charter test that reliability be comparable to Xcel to read as follows:

1. Maintaining comparable electric equipment, facilities and services as those of Xcel at time of acquisition which will be designed to achieve a System Average Interruption Duration Index (SAIDI) of X and a System Average Interruption Frequency Index (SAIFI) of X  (X to be calculated using Xcel’s most recent SAIDI ratings for last few years once we receive 2010 and 2011 data)

This includes providing experienced and professional management of the local utility grid, including ongoing investment in maintenance and system improvement, and a strong customer-service ethic in responding to emergencies, daily maintenance and long-term grid investment.

As discussed at the Energy Roundtable last week, the metrics associated with Charter requirements should be considered the floor, or minimum test, that must be met to determine whether we can go forward with municipalization.  The analysis staff is doing to evaluate strategies is to not only show whether municipalization can pass the charter test but to identify where there is additional value to the community, which addresses
 the question of should the city municipalize.  As the work teams move forward they will be evaluating strategies that meet and exceed the charter requirements with those metrics included in the February and March presentations to council.

I believe this should address your concerns regarding reliability metrics.  Also, I will be available at tonight’s council meeting to answer any questions.

Many thanks for your suggestions,
Heather