[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: RE: Reliability metrics

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Oct 12 08:13:35 MDT 2012

Sender: Wilson, Ken

Thank you Heather.

I had intended putting something out on Hotline after consulting with you and will do so now.  Part of my desire at rewording the reliability metrics description was to capture the need to provide assurance that reliability would be the same or better than that provided by Xcel on day 1 of a municipal utility.  To do that, the grid itself must be at least as robust as it is today.  This includes the back office systems that manage the grid, providing outage information, outage location, dispatch and other grid
 services.  I have expressed concern in the past that valuable information on the history of outages, the history of maintenance and repair and the status of transformers and other equipment will probably be lost.  I have also expressed concern that the current grid topology will be broken and the design for separation must take this into account and add appropriate feeders and feeder extensions to compensate.  I don't think the current language necessarily covers these issues.

I will continue to consider these issues and will have more to say later.

Ken