[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Information Item on Compatible Development

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu May 17 13:54:13 MDT 2012

Sender: Becker, KC

Hotline:

I'm enclosing a link to Information Item 2A that City Council received entitled, "Compatible Development Implementation, 24 Month Final Update."

Since this issue was of such fervent interest a few years ago, and because information items are otherwise easily missed, I'm posting the link so that all interested parties can have a look.

The memo provides some interesting data, but what I find most informative and important are the comments provided as part of a city poll.  The poll itself focused on how customers learn about the compatible development regulations, information which is probably of marginal value to the public. Feedback on how the ordinance is working is more useful and is, as I mentioned, contained in the comments at the end. My quick read is not surprising: the regulations add a significant new cost to building or remodeling new houses and that reconciling the array of regulations (floor area ratio, building coverage, bulk plane, side yard wall articulation, solar access, setbacks, building codes, etc) can lead to odd results and difficult design challenges that may go beyond what was intended, which was primarily about addressing very large houses on small lots that were impacting neighbors and neighborhoods negatively.

http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/files/05092012IP/IPFinalWeb.pdf

KC Becker
beckerk at bouldercolorado.gov<mailto:beckerk at bouldercolorado.gov>