[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Conflict of Interest Policy for Boards and Commissions

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Mar 7 16:31:45 MST 2012

Sender: Jones, Suzanne

Dear Tom--

Could you please reiterate for us all how the City's Conflict of Interest policy is applied/interpreted for citizens serving on city boards and commissions?  This is an issue that is coming up in citizens' applications, and I think it would be helpful if we all had the same collective understanding moving forward when we vote on new board members.

The financial interest line is pretty obvious, but less clear is whether serving on the board of a related advocacy group (or professional association) constitutes a conflict of interest requiring recusal or withdrawal from participation on the advocacy or professional group's board. Also, where is the conflict line drawn regarding the situation where former colleagues, employees, or clients of a city board member are bringing projects before a board (in particular planning board)?

Thanks--
Suzanne Jones