[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: RE: Questions for Study Session on Municipalization

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Jul 27 16:20:36 MDT 2012

Sender: Cowles, Macon

These are tough questions, and good questions. Some of them call for answers and information that are out of sequence, though, and cannot be answered at this point in the process.

And there are other questions that implicate the various approaches to litigation or to stranded costs. These are not issues that we should be thinking out loud about with Xcel in the room. Hypotheticals about funding litigation if and when we reach the limit of revenue raised from the Occupation Tax is in this category.

The answers to some of the questions would require staff to forecast what will emerge from a public process—annexation and the eventual shape of a service area, for example. It would not be appropriate to attempt to guess what will emerge from a full and fair public process.

Xcel is following this path: they do not want to spend all of their money; they just want the City to spend all of its money. And they want to spread doubt about the feasibility of forming a municipal utility, and to sow discord.

Finally, Ken's question about who is representing the citizens of Boulder at the Public Utility Commission merely underscores one of the primary drivers of forming a municipal utility: local control. Insofar as the City is intervening in dockets at the PUC, it IS representing the people of Boulder. The positions taken by the City are consistent with the best interests of Boulder residents, such as protecting the right of Boulder ratepayers to take advantage of the rebates offered by Xcel, or challenging the hyper inflated price that Xcel wants to extract from ratepayers for their poorly planned and executed "Smart Grid."

The PUC is like a church where an ancient language is spoken, and only the initiate are taught the language. In theory, any rate payer can attempt to represent himself in PUC dockets. In practice, only the very energetic, knowledgeable and persistent, such as Leslie Glustrom, make bold to represent a portion of Boulder's public before the PUC. And she has brought the attention of the PUC to some issues worthy of deep analysis, such as the future cost of coal production. to take but one example.

Finally, the Smart Grid: One has to have a good imagination to conclude that the IBM group found the Smart Grid to be robust. To the extent that the group stroked the implementation of the Smart Grid, it was being kind and neighborly to Xcel. There has been no advantage to consumers in Xcel's Smart Grid in Boulder--none at all--except when the public is invited to the Chancellor's house to see the instrumentation. But that is no more real than riding GE's Carousel of Progress at the 1964 World's Fair. Engineers actually involved in development of the Smart Grid elsewhere in the country are wondering aloud:

1.  Where is Xcel? They have been absent at the significant conferences around the nation involving the establishment of standards for the Smart Grid.
2.  Why did they choose a Pay to Play model, which guaranteed that only corporations flush with cash would be their "partners" in the Smart Grid? This excluded thinly capitalized companies whose work is at the forefront of the development of the Smart Grid.
3. What became of Xcel's partner GridPoint in the Smart Grid City? They used their position as an Xcel partner in the enterprise to raise private equity capital for their other ventures, but they dropped their "Smart Inverter" after deploying only six units in the City, and then turned their attention to more lucrative ventures.
4. What about the 23,000 Landis+Gyr "smart meters" that have been installed? if there is one signal attribute of the Smart Grid, it is two way communication. And yet these Smart Meters do not lend themselves to two way communication with the customer--downstream of the meter, within a person's home or business. If anyone out there finds their Smart Meter useful in making energy decisions, please raise your hand! And BTW, the Smart Grid meters installed here in Boulder are no longer even produced. The real Smart Grid has made them obsolete.
5. Why did the Xcel officials most knowledgeable about the Smart Grid all leave the company shortly after Boulder's selection as the "SmartGridCity?"

And on and on and on. I sure hope that our lawyers debunk Xcel's Smart Grid so that no ratepayer gets stuck with the bill, and so that it is certainly not added to the purchase price as a cost of buying the distribution system.

I have to get back to work now

Macon Cowles
Boulder City Councilor