[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: BRC II conclusion on dedicated funding

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Aug 7 13:28:16 MDT 2012

Sender: Jones, Suzanne

Dear Colleagues--

I thought it might be useful for tonight's discussion to review the conclusion of the Blue Ribbon Commission II on dedicated funding, since BRC I and II are often referenced in our discussions. Per my remembrance as a participant in BRC II, the issue of dedicated taxes was the only place in the report where a differing majority/minority opinion was expressed--which underscores the philosophical divide on both the Council and our community on this issue.

Cheers,
Suzanne

(From Page 2 of the BRC II Executive Summary, also repeated in the report text):

Use of Dedicated Revenue Sources – dedicated funds should be used sparingly and that, if such dedicated taxes are used, they should come with a full understanding of their impact on the city’s finances, including any corresponding incremental operating and maintenance costs. In reaching this determination, there were generally two perspectives expressed among members of the BRC II. One, that if dedicated funds are used, they should only be used for capital purchases and construction. The second and minority perspective expressed was that dedicated funds may be appropriate not only for capital purchases and construction but for some broader applications.