[bouldercouncilhotline] HOTLINE: Death on the Hill

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Mar 22 12:53:40 MDT 2011

Sender: Lisa Morzel

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: lisa morzel <lisamorzel at gmail.com<mailto:lisamorzel at gmail.com>>
Date: Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: Death on the Hill
To: Ken Wilson <ken.wilson at bouldertel.com<mailto:ken.wilson at bouldertel.com>>
Cc: "hillneighbors at yahoogroups.com<mailto:hillneighbors at yahoogroups.com>" <hillneighbors at yahoogroups.com<mailto:hillneighbors at yahoogroups.com>>, "council at bouldercolorado.gov<mailto:council at bouldercolorado.gov>" <council at bouldercolorado.gov<mailto:council at bouldercolorado.gov>>

To all living on the hill,

Let me start by relaying our sincere sadness at the death of Todd Walker and the possible conditions which led up to the shooting.

As I have been on council pretty much since 1995 (minus 4 years), I am very familiar with the various processes and ordinances that were in place to improve conditions on the Hill.   I agree with Ken and others that more needs to be done.

Yesterday I went to the Hill and went all over it.  One observation kept hitting me and it has never really been taken on.  That condition is the lack of lawn, predominance of complete dirt, and slummy-looking houses that prevail just south of the commercial district and I assume are predominantly rentals.  This shabby condition is unacceptable and I think we should consider an ordinance that addresses this.  It just makes the entire area like a slum and I am sure affects those who live there in terms of behavior (in terms of how they feel or care about their home) and it affects everyone (whether adjacent or not) on the feel of the broader neighborhood.  It's on par with the "broken glass" concept--you leave it broken, it just gets worse.  In this case, these houses have no yard, no landscaping, have not been painted for decades, and look like rat holes--I would like to address this in an ordinance that requires landlords to maintain minimum standards.

The second big issue is the size of parties and I believe this needs to be limited in size.  Years ago when we were considering and adopting new ordinances to address issues on the Hill, I brought an idea back from Washington DC which is a party ordinance,  As I recall, DC's ordinance is something like the following.  For parties of a size greater than x (perhaps 50), the party planners need to apply to the city for a party permit.  The larger the party, the larger the need for items such as temporary (only during the party) porta-potties and on-site security, the larger the fee.  I do not think this ever was adopted as some thought it was too strict but honestly it is something that we should consider.  I'm not sure what the correct numbers would be but we should at least discuss.

Thanks to all for their e-mails and actions.  I am confident council will be discussing this and taking action on some new ordinances to address the continuing issues on the Hill.

Lisa

PS
I own one rental home and on that rental license I limit the number of people that can be on the premises at any one time to 20 and if that is violated, the offenders each have to pay me $250.  It has worked thus far.