[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: FW: DRAFT energy future survey

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Jun 29 16:02:42 MDT 2011

Sender: Ageton, Suzy

From: Ageton, Suzy
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:27 AM
To: Huntley, Sarah; Cowles, Macon; Osborne, Susan; Gray, Crystal; Wilson, Ken; Becker, KC; Appelbaum, Matt; Karakehian, George; Morzel, Lisa; Morzel, Lisa
Subject: RE: DRAFT energy future survey

Here are my thoughts on the draft energy future survey.

Introduction - let's be honest, this is a survey about Boulder's energy future, let's just say that and walk our talk about transparency..

Q.3 - I would create a couple extra coding categories to get more value out of this question by creating separate codes for snow removal (now in #8 with road repair/construction) and non-energy taxes (now in #3 with economy, jobs, etc.)

Q.8 - I think this is a poorly worded question.  The City is focused solely on Boulder while Xcel has a broader jurisdiction to serve.  What we want to know is the level of confidence/trust people have in each of the two entities to meet their commitments and responsibilities to the community.  Here's a substitute question that I believe will get at the same issue but in a fairer way:

How much confidence/trust do you have in each of the following organizations to meet its commitment and responsibilities to the community ?

Qs 11-13 - Reliability is not included for comparison, why?  It is one of the key factors we are seeking to insure and should be compared against the other three.

Q. 14 - maybe part c is intended to get at reliability but it is quite obtuse.  Why not just ask the question directly such as Delivering reliable energy service

Q.18  and Q. 25 - I think we need to very clearly separate the start up costs question (Q25) from the asset purchase costs (which I think is what Q18 is trying to get at).  I like Matt's idea of placing the two questions next to each other is good.  Q 18 needs more work  to give better understanding of what bonding means in terms of time and costs including that no new taxes will be required..

Q21 - Again I agree with Matt.  Two recent articles in the NY Times have made it very clear that there is a lot of debate about natural gas pricing and that if anything it is liking to increase, not decrease b/c of the difficulties and expense of extracting it from shale through "fracking."

Q.26 - I would delete this question.  The fact that some Colorado communities have run local power utilities for some time is meaningless without knowing the cost, challenges and relevance to Boulder's situation.  We could just as well have asked a question about the number of communities that have failed in their attempts to municipalize and ask how this information would affect our residents vote for municipalization.  Neither question is very useful without a great deal more information than can be provided in a short survey.

Q.27 - There is one other option which is not included here: the status quo, i.e., simply remaining out of franchise with Xcel.  Since the Occup. Tax runs for four more years, we would buy ourselves some time to better analyze the late Xcel Wind Proposal and see what new energy technology emerges or what new legislative energy policy we might help create.  I personally would like to know whether this option has any appeal to our community.

Suzy