[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Ballot Referenda--Numbering Options

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Aug 15 12:08:00 MDT 2011

Sender: Cowles, Macon

Prior to our meeting tomorrow night, I request that staff to speak to the Secretary of State's Office and Boulder County Clerk and Recorder as necessary in order to provide the specific options available for numbering the various referenda that will go on the November ballot and the relative order that those referenda might occupy on the ballot.

1.  Are numbers available for the referenda embodied in Ordinances 7804 and 7808 that will unmistakably present the two referenda as part of a package?
2.  Is it possible for the measures to have consecutive numbers and to be placed one right after the other on the ballot?
3.  If TABOR requires that the two referenda be separated on the ballot, is it possible to include a verbal pointer, such as "Ballot Measure No. 102 is related to Ballot Measure No. 2C?
4.  If TABOR requires that the referenda be in two different sections of the ballot, is it possible for the non- TABOR measure and the TABOR measure to be placed one right after the other, even through they are in separate sections?
5.  What is the earliest date at which time the numbers assigned to the referenda will be known? Is there any way to hasten the process so that the campaigns will be able to take names, such as :"YES on __" and "NO on __?"

It would be helpful, perhaps, to provide the Council with sample ballots from a past election that illustrate how measures are numbered, so that we can go from the SOS rules on numbering referenda to an actual ballot used in the past.

Thanks very much.

Macon Cowles
Boulder City Councilor