[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Mobile food Vehicles

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Apr 26 08:00:22 MDT 2011

Sender: Gray, Crystal

Council Members:
Re:  Agenda item 5A - Mobile Food Vehicles Sales.
I would like to find a way to allow mobile food vehicles to operate in areas around our parks and public buildings beyond allowing them for special events only.   I would like council to discuss the opportunity for expanded sites during the approval of this ordinance while still keeping the 'bricks and mortar' constraints in place.  I  suggest that we either amend the ordinance tomorrow night and have it return for a third reading or give direction, as part of the motion to approve, to return to council with amendments to allow expanded area for mobile food vehicles to operate - based on the council discussion.  The memo stated, p. 2, that the parks department will consider this when they develop their 2012 work plan but I would like to have this addressed before 2012.  In addition, there are other city owned properties that we might want to allow mobile food vehicles to operate.
I want to make sure that we allow the mobile food vehicles to operate as soon as possible so that is why avoiding a third reading and giving direction might be the best way forward.
Some of the sites that residents have suggested to me are:
Scott Carpenter Pool
Spruce Pool
Eben G. Fine Park
North Boulder Park
Library Parking lot off Canyon (and let people take food to the coffee area on the Bridge in the Library until we get a vendor)
Stazio Fields
Mapleton Fields
Valmont Park (Bike Park area especially)
East Boulder Recreation Center Courts and fields
Soccer Fields
The Chautauqua Green (which is off the leased area)
I will be interested to hear council's comments.
Crystal