[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: FW: Pottery Lab

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Nov 23 07:28:27 MST 2010

Sender: Kohl, Susan

Dear Crystal,
Thank you for your questions pertaining to the Pottery Lab outlined in your email of November 19.  In my absence, Kirk Kincannon has helped provide the following information in response.
Question:  I am assuming it is a public document at this point.  Is it going to be forwarded to PRAB?
Response:  The November 19 memo is a public document and was forwarded to PRAB on the same day that Council received it.

Question:  It is still unclear to me what involvement PRAB had before the RFP was developed - did they give input into what the desired outcome should be (things like - serve all segments of the community including children etc)?
Response:  While PRAB did not have explicit involvement in the creation of the Pottery Lab RFP document, as that has not normally been an extension of their duties and role, they were provided information about the RFP in August and September.  In addition, three PRAB members were on the review and selection committee for the RFP.

 In the larger context of contracting for recreation services, PRAB approved the Department Recreation Program and Facilities Plan (RPFP) this year.  The RPFP outlines strategies and goals to move the Department forward and determine the best model for providing quality recreation services.  With the approval of the RPFP, PRAB endorsed the following as stated in the Executive Summary of the Plan:

"The City of Boulder Parks and Recreation Department, with involvement from the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board (PRAB) and the community, has developed this Recreation Program and Facilities Plan (RPFP) to guide future decisions related to program offerings, facility management, facility renovation and development, and the allocation of available financial resources...

Guiding Principles
* Champion diversity
* Contribute to personal health and wellness
* Ensure that youth are a priority
* Maintain and protect our facilities and programs
* Prioritize available subsidy to introductory
  level classes and programs
* Pursue a sustainable financial model for
  recreation programs and facilities
As a result, while PRAB did not give singular input for the program goals for the Pottery Lab RFP, it did provide advisory direction to the Department on all programs and operations with the approval of the Guiding Principles noted above.  In addition, PRAB approved the Key goals for the Department to follow, one of which is to "pursue partnerships for programs and facilities for the purpose of reducing expenses, increasing revenues, or providing additional recreational services". The criteria and scope of the Pottery Lab RFP reflects PRAB input and goals as approved in the RPFP.

Question:  Also, one item that was brought up at the public hearing was that the Pottery Lab users, and public, were not involved in any discussions regarding how to make the pottery lab more sustainable.  During the year in which you evaluate the PL do you plan on involving the public?
Response:  The Department will complete a management assessment of the Pottery Lab in the coming year and is determining how best to involve the public in this process.  It is anticipated that the process, including those for input by the public, current and potential users of the Pottery Lab, will be determined in the First Quarter of 2011.

I hope this information helps.  If you have any further questions or need additional information, I would be happy to address them upon my return to the office on November 29.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Regards,

 Jane