[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Tech techs program

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Dec 27 07:24:43 MST 2010

Sender: Mertz, Kara

Dear Council Members:

In response to Council Member Appelbaum's Hotline on Saturday inquiring about the status of the City's "Two Techs" project, I wanted to let everyone know that the pilot phase of "Two Techs" (now called EnergySmart) began in October. The pilot was not publicized in order to allow City and County staff to work closely with contractors, auditors, Xcel Energy and targeted participants to iron out program details prior to the full community launch scheduled for January 25.

Staff will be providing Council with a WIP in January to report on the results of the pilot phase and details about the full community launch.

To provide a quick snapshot:

*         53 single-family homes have been scheduled in the residential EnergySmart pilot, 40 of them in the city of Boulder.

*         250 multi-family units are scheduled to participate in the  pilot in January. These are all in the City of Boulder.

*         Of these 53 single-family properties that have participated, 27 have received the initial visit, which includes the energy audit, direct installation and energy advisor service.

*         Of the properties that have received the initial visit, 40% are in the process of moving forward with implementation of retrofits.

*         The remaining 60% have expressed interest but are awaiting reports and bids from contractors.

*         Participants have reported a high satisfaction with the energy advisor model.

*         81 businesses have participated in business district "sweeps"

*         200 businesses are scheduled to be complete by January 21

*         Four new financing tools will be available beginning in January for residential and commercial property owners

*         City goals = 9,000 homes and 3,000 business participants over the three-year grant cycle (through June 2013)

Through the pilot, some of the program processes are being adjusted to maximize efficiencies.

The social mobilization strategy is under development and will inform the tactics for reaching various community groups and enlisting program participants.

Staff is working with the residential program administrator (Populus) to develop the SmartRegs compliance path as part of EnergySmart.
There has been a lot interest from landlords in leveraging the program for SmartRegs compliance. These landlords will be scheduled starting in January after the ordinance effective date of January 3, 2011.

In January, staff will be updating council through a WIP on the status of the program. This update will include;

 *   Latest program numbers and results
 *   Details on the SmartRegs compliance path and how landlords can access the services
 *   Any program modifications that have resulted from the commercial and residential pilot phase
 *   Update on the social mobilization strategy including specific tactics to be employed

A full program launch is scheduled for January 25, from 3-5 pm. Location will be at a participating Boulder EnergySmart business. A full announcement will be forthcoming in a week.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions at all!
have a very happy Holidays!
-kara

Kara F Mertz
Manager, Local Environmental Action Division (LEAD)
City of Boulder, Community Planning + Sustainability

office: 303.441.3153
mobile: 303.931.1564
mertzk at bouldercolorado.gov<mailto:HarkinsJ at bouldercolorado.gov>
www.bouldercolorado.gov/LEAD<http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/LEAD>

 [cid:image001.png at 01CBA2A4.DA2F2490] <http://www.facebook.com/bouldercolorado.gov>  [cid:image002.png at 01CBA2A4.DA2F2490] <http://twitter.com/bouldercolorado>  [cid:image003.png at 01CBA2A4.DA2F2490] <http://www.youtube.com/bouldercoloradogov>  [cid:image004.png at 01CBA2A4.DA2F2490] <http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6658&Itemid=28>